HARRISBURG – Fire and emergency response organizations in the 44th Legislative District have received nearly $113,000 in grants from the state, Rep. Valerie Gaydos (R-Allegheny) announced today.
The funding comes from an ongoing grant program created by the Legislature and administered by the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency and Office of the State Fire Commissioner (OSFC). All funding comes from the proceeds from slot machine gaming, and not general fund tax revenue.
Every emergency service organization that completes the application process receives funding. Projects eligible for funding include: construction or renovation of a fire or ambulance company facility, purchase or repair of equipment, training, or reduction of existing debt.
“We need to do all we can to support our volunteer fire companies and emergency medical service (EMS) providers,” said Gaydos, a former emergency medical technician (EMT). From equipment and training to vehicles and facilities, the burdens on our incredible volunteer first responders are substantial.”
Below is the list of local fire companies and EMS agencies and the amount they received:
• Aleppo Township Volunteer Fire Company - $13,581.
• Cochran Hose Company - $15,000.
• Crescent Township Volunteer Fire Department - $12,353.
• Fair Oaks Volunteer Fire Protective Association - $12,353.
• Leetsdale Fire Department - $12,598.
• Moon Township Volunteer Fire Department - $12,418.
• North Fayette Township Volunteer Fire Department - $14,318.
• Quaker Valley Ambulance Authority - $10,000.
• Valley Ambulance Authority - $10,000.
The OSFC manages financial assistance programs for the state’s fire, ambulance and rescue organizations intended to help them improve and enhance their capabilities to provide firefighting, ambulance and rescue services.
Fire and ambulance companies are reminded that in order to receive their grants and retain their eligibility for the program, paperwork must be submitted back to the OSFC by the end of May.
Representative Valerie Gaydos
44th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Rick Leiner